Most users ever online was 27 on 15th May 2013, 11:59 am
Top posting users this month

Today’s Show
Powered by The Odyssey Scoop.

10/14/13: Tour Guides or Travel Agents?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

10/14/13: Tour Guides or Travel Agents?

Post by Monty on 14th October 2013, 1:51 pm

Welcome, friends, to the first of a series of devotionals. I am going to be focusing on several word pictures, because vivid imagery is so useful in helping people to remember things. Most of the devotionals themselves will be based on Dr. Tim Elmore’s book Habitudes.

Today, I want to focus on this idea of starting a journey. Who do you want to look to when you are seeking advice? The fact is that so many people will be offering advice. It is as if you are holding a sign asking for random passersby to help you make major life decisions! However, the idea of taking advice really is Biblical. Proverbs 11:14 says, “Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety.” But what kind of advice do you want to take, and what kind of people do you want to take it from?

I want to look at this sense of people being either tour guides or travel agents. Think about this with me. Travel agents are fantastic people. When you walk into their offices, they will have a lot of brochures which can point you in a general direction, and probably have a great deal of things to tell you about the location you wish to go to. Tour guides, on the other hand, don’t have brochures to give you because they are taking you on the adventure themselves!

How can we apply this to your life? Well, a majority of the people you get advice from, quite frankly, are travel agents. They are more than willing to give you advice, but they are only going to do it from their “office”; from their perspective of the world. A tour guide is much rarer, and for a reason. The tour guides in your life are those who not only point you in the right direction, but take the journey with you! They’re going to take each step with you, and make sure that you not only are going to the right place, but stay on the correct road. Solomon would encourage you to associate with these people, and heed their advice, as Proverbs 19:20 states: “Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom in the future.”

In conclusion, consider carefully the people you want to take advice from, and what kind of advice they provide. But above all, never forget who your true Tour Guide is. The God Who created you is more than capable, and more than willing to walk with you as you journey through this life. Always filter things you hear from people through the Word of God and through prayer. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I would appreciate any comments you may have.
Monty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum