Most users ever online was 27 on 15th May 2013, 11:59 am
Top posting users this month

Today’s Show
Powered by The Odyssey Scoop.

Daily Devotions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Daily Devotions

Post by Bren on 12th October 2013, 4:50 am

I know some of us are dealing with not doing our devotions like we should. I don't wanna throw stones because I fit that category well. If you are already doing daily devotions and have suggestions for those who are wanting to get in the habit of doing them, I for one would love to hear them. Also, feel free to share what you are learning. We can encourage one another in this.

Spoiler:
Bren
CC Founder
CC Founder

View user profile http://www.campbellcountymb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Daily Devotions

Post by Thor's Hammer on 12th October 2013, 11:25 am

Best thing to do- Set a time do not skimp on it unless Sunday and Saturday.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bren on 12th October 2013, 12:14 pm

Do you skip around in reading or do you start in Genesis and go from there?

Spoiler:
Bren
CC Founder
CC Founder

View user profile http://www.campbellcountymb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 12th October 2013, 12:25 pm

Our devotion which I have been with since I was born does it in six year and skips around.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunshine on 15th October 2013, 10:10 pm

Be consistent.  I can't say I've set a good example of this, as it is only this past summer that I have really become consistent daily.  
I think it's a good idea to strive for at least 15 minutes each day with God, 5 of which should be reading His Word.

Unless one is doing something like Thor mentioned, where one is doing a set Bible study which skips around through different passages, I don't think it's a good idea to skip around on your own.  If we skip around, I think we have the tendency to pick only certain chapters, and skip over certain ones because we don't understand them.
Pick a book, or set of books (or a reading plan, like for one year), and start reading.  Sometimes one small passage may be very rich, and give you a lot of insight, or other times you may end up reading several chapters.  Also, I find it a good idea is to pick a verse from where I read, on which to meditate throughout the day.  This helps me to apply it to my life, rather than leaving devotions in the morning, saying, "It's been nice God.  See You tomorrow at 7:30!"  Wink

Most of all, what I've learned through my struggle to consistently spend time with God daily, is this: DO NOT TRY TO PIN IT DOWN TO A FORMULA!
Be consistent, but let it be a unique time each day.
I ask God to humble me, and open my spiritual eyes to what He wants to say (Psalm 119:18).
Sometimes I journal, most other times I don't.
One morning I planned to spend an hour in prayer, praying for others and praising God, but I ended up using that time to repent of a sin, and ask what God wanted me to do to make it right.
Don't do it because every Christian "should," but do it because you want to seek Him (see Jeremiah 29:13).
Perhaps it will start out tedious, and more like a habit, but don't pin it to a formula.  If you truly seek God, and desire to want to spend time each day, God will fulfill your desire (Psalm 37:4-5).

EDIT: Yikes!  This post was much longer than I intended.  Anxious

Sunshine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 16th October 2013, 3:04 pm

I forgot to mention that a study Bible and devotion with commentary is best for devotions. If you have you might want to use a commentary.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum