Most users ever online was 27 on 15th May 2013, 11:59 am
Top posting users this month

Today’s Show
Powered by The Odyssey Scoop.

"For I have overcome the world"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"For I have overcome the world"

I'm sure you've read this verse, it's John 16:33, it's one of my favorites

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

This verse is one that keeps me going in this crazy journey called life. But what does that mean, to "over come the world"? I think it means just that. Jesus conquered death! He surely did overcome the world! He did something the world never dreamed possible, rising from the dead. We to can conquer the world, our problems, and our struggles. How? Through Christ.When we are truly saved,(not by good works but by salvation) God's got us in the palm of his hand. Satan, being like a prowling lion tries to snatch us, but he can't! Isn't that cool? I always thought so. But, just because satan can't snatch us, doesn't mean he won't try to. He'll even use certain people in this life to try to get us to stop serving Jesus.Through persecution, sometimes beatings, and maybe even death. But what's our hope? Jesus conquered death! We don't have to be afraid of what's behind deaths door! As Christians we know whats behind that door, Jesus and heaven, and we'll be there forever and ever! Now don't get me wrong, I don't like the thought of being killed for my faith. I really don't, but as we all know, the world is going in a pretty bad direction for Christians. But we knew it was coming. Jesus said this is the way it be would be in the end days. And I don't know how much we're gonna suffer before the Lord returns, but I know we will. Whether or not we have to lose our heads for Christ's sake or not, I don't know, I surely pray and hope not, but if it comes to that we must stand strong. I always told myself when I die I wanna die singing. If I must be killed for my Lord's sake, I would totally sing "I have decided" (to follow Jesus) Let's take a look at one of the verses in this beloved song.

The world behind me, the cross before me;
No turning back, no turning back.

"The world behind me, the cross before me; No turning back, no turning back." I love that verse of the song. It reminds me that I can't go back to things of this world. And why would I? Here are your options,
1. Live for yourself and the world, then when you die go to hell since you were not saved
2. Live for Christ, and when you die go to heaven forever and ever

It's pretty simple. A lot of unsaved people always ask "Why would a loving God send me to hell?" Well, God is a God of love, but he's also one of wrath and justice. Well, holy wrath anyway. Why do people reject God? I have some reasons.
1. Pride, as sinners, we have ALOT of that
2. Selfishness
3. They think their bigger then God, in some peoples mind, they are their own god

I didn't always believe in God, before I came to Christ, I didn't even believe there WAS a God, to me, the world was just here. The world revolved around me, or so i thought. God surely showed me I was wrong, and found me on my hands and knees. God can sure humble us. Now, back on subject, no more bunny trails! :PIf you are indeed a born again Christian, you do not need to fear death! When the day comes when you must die, and that will indeed happen to all of us unless Christ comes back soon, the Lord will give you strength. But take heart, Jesus has overcome the world. Very Happy<3
                                                             May the Lord bless your day,
                                                                        The Dreamer of Dreams

"Girl, you are beautiful! So smile! Because someone might be falling in love with it!" <3
Check out my blog, "The dreamer of dreams"!!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Maria
Maria
Maria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

"For I have overcome the world" :: Comments

Post on 23rd July 2013, 7:59 pm by capeng

I love that song too, Mary.  It's been forever since I've heard it though.

Back to top Go down

Post on 23rd July 2013, 8:00 pm by Maria

I know, we sang it at camp, i squealed with delight! Until everyone stared at me like i was a lunatic..... ;)lol

Back to top Go down

Post on 23rd July 2013, 8:02 pm by Sko

God's done a lot for us, it's amazing that He'd even give us the option to be saved from ourselves.

It's all a matter of priorities. Put anything above God, and you're in trouble, big time. But, Jesus has overcome the world, which is amazing for us. He can help us make God our priority, even though we can't do it ourselves.

A couple weeks ago at VBS, I had the opportunity to ask some younger kids what that verse, John 16:33, meant. They had good answers, too. It's always nice to hear in the words of a little kid how Jesus saved us, I wish I could remember just what they said so I could post it. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post on 23rd July 2013, 8:04 pm by Maria

Awwww!! I love little kids' answers about that kind of thing! It's like "Ooh I want your kind of faith!!!"

Back to top Go down

Post on 23rd July 2013, 8:04 pm by capeng

It's really freeing to know that we CAN'T do anything to keep Gods love on us.  All we must do is have faith and love Him with all we have.

Back to top Go down

Post on 23rd July 2013, 8:07 pm by Maria

I sometimes wish we could see Jesus though, then my heart would really have a song to sing in this wicked world.

Back to top Go down

Post on 23rd July 2013, 8:11 pm by capeng

There will be a day...

Back to top Go down

Post on 23rd July 2013, 8:12 pm by Maria

Ooh i know, i cant wait to see him, but every day my heart longs for him even more

Back to top Go down

Post on 23rd July 2013, 8:16 pm by capeng

I hope there will be chocolate chip cookies there.  (In Heaven, I mean.)

Back to top Go down

Post on 23rd July 2013, 8:18 pm by Maria

Hahahahahahaha idk, i never thought of that, guess there must be ovens there if there are chocolate chip cookies Wink

Back to top Go down

Post on 23rd July 2013, 8:22 pm by capeng

There better be.  And pecan pie, and coffee cake, and ice cream, and fried chicken, and baking powder biscuits, and Chinese food, and.....  *voice fades off into distance*

Back to top Go down

Post on 23rd July 2013, 8:24 pm by Maria

Ummmm all i want is to be with Jesus, so...idk about all your wishes.... :PWell, there is one thing i want there, all the people i know who aren't saved......

Back to top Go down

Post on 23rd July 2013, 8:39 pm by capeng

Oh.  I want Jesus too, but I don't think it's gonna be one big long huge church service.  I personally think Heaven will be on a cleaned-up planet Earth.  And we'll have jobs.  Adam did.  He was the first human gardner.  
And Revelation talks of the gates of heaven being open, and the kings of the earth going in and out.  So, presumably, there will be politics there too.  
The only question I have is:  when we play soccer with Jesus, will He let us win or no?

Back to top Go down

Post on 24th July 2013, 11:41 am by Maria

Ooh of course, i know that, one of my best friends sam wants to be a taste tester there :DIdk what i would wanna do, if i could choose, maybe do something with singing. *gasps* maybe there is big a piano there!!!

Back to top Go down

Post on 24th July 2013, 1:02 pm by capeng

I'd be surprised if there weren't.

Back to top Go down

Post on 24th July 2013, 8:05 pm by Maria

I guess we'll just wait and see (:

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum