Powered by The Odyssey Scoop.

Moving Campbell County...

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Moving Campbell County...

Post by Eugene on 11th July 2013, 3:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Hello, everyone! Long time no speak. Tongue out

I haven't been around very much, but I haven't been sitting on my hands. In fact, I want to tell you about what Bren and I have been up to.

Right now, our lovely little forum is currently hosted by Forumotion - a free service. It works fairly well but it has many limitations that drive us nuts. We also can't customize it very easily. All of the custom stuff requires lots of time to create and update since it's all manually managed through code. This causes us to often focus too much on the technical side of things and less on the community activities.

One idea that we have been touting ever since the days of the Electric Palace is to have our own board that we have complete control over. Right now, I have some server space on which we can install our own copy of phpBB to host Campbell County. And we are willing to spend the money for our domain name. Bren and I have been testing this very thing in recent weeks. We want to see how well it would work for us, and so far it looks very promising!

But there is one serious drawback that accompanies all the great things about this plan...

The most frustrating and saddening restriction of Forumotion is that we cannot export any of the forums, topics, and posts for us to import into our own board. This means that if we move, we will have to start fresh. We won't have any of our old topics around. To soften the blow, we would keep this account open for reference and posterity, similar to the way we keep the Electric Palace around as an archive.

Besides that fact, there aren't any other major drawbacks. We are seriously considering this plan and are anxious for your feedback! Below I have two lists; one for pros, the other for cons. (Feel free to point out more pros and cons.) Read through them and please let us know what you think about this whole endeavor!! We need your thoughts and questions before we decide to go through with this move. It is our community, afterall. We all get to make this decision together.

If you need more information or have specific questions about the move, then just ask. I will be happy to answer your questions!

Pros:

• Our own server and phpBB install
  • No ads from third-parties
  • Full control over the board and code
  • Ability to add new functions like an automated shop
  • Unlimited space to upload attachments
  • No more restrictions imposed by Forumotion
  • Unlimited space in PM boxes
  • More ways for people to manage seashells (money)

Cons:

• We can't transfer over our current/old posts
  • Loose integrated chat (for a bit... we'll be able to add it back in eventually)
  • We would have to maintain the server ourselves (not a big deal)
  • All the work we've put into this place won't move with us

Last edited by Eugene on 11th July 2013, 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added two pros)

This is a click-able sig!
Eugene
CC Tech
CC Tech

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving Campbell County...

Post by KF on 15th July 2013, 12:49 am

All that work spamming the board without technically (Sometimes. Tongue out) spamming it. 
:(

But, yes. Switching over just has too many advantages to not do it.

Retro
KF
CC Veteran
CC Veteran

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eugene on 18th July 2013, 7:16 pm

Thanks for answering all of those questions, Sko! Smile  Now for some follow-up answers.

Sko wrote:
Sunshine wrote:Will blogs remain?  If so, will they differ, or be the same?
I expect blogs to remain, but I'm not sure. Eugene, do you know?
Yes, we will retain the blog functionality. Although, we may decide to hold off on including this feature simply to get the board up sooner. Once we get the basics going, then we'll add blogs again.

There's one question about the blogs that I need help answering. The answer will determine how I implement the blogs. The question: Should we have blogs in the same place as here (included with the forums), should we create a new blog section that is separate, or should we put each blog on a user's profile page? Let me know what you think we should do. Personally, I'd keep it the same.

Sko wrote:
Sunshine wrote:If you could find a way to edit the join dates, I'd appreciate being able to see my original join date.
This is probably impossible. I suppose the SQL database could be edited, but I wouldn't risk it.
I have already looked into this and it is possible. I haven't had the chance yet, but I will be testing this out before I promise that we'll be able to do it. As Sko pointed out, it does require us to tinker with the database, but I'm totally comfortable with that... only if I test it out on a dummy board first. Tongue out

Jesusfreak97 wrote:Eugene, I think its A great Idea to move. And Finished reading the comments, It may take a lot of work, but I'm all for it too. :)If you guys need help, Just ask kk Smile
Thanks for the offer! We'll definitely be needing help once we get the technical stuff sorted. It will take a bit of time, especially since I am working a couple of jobs for the summer. But we will get it done! Very Happy
Eugene
CC Tech
CC Tech

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent 86 on 19th July 2013, 12:47 pm

I have another question where are we moving?

~Agent 86~

~{(Tron's Shop)}~

The CONTROL Lab

Spoiler:
Psalm 23:1-6 wrote:
1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

http://blackgaardscastle.forumotion.com/
Agent 86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sing 4 joy on 19th July 2013, 3:08 pm

Agent 86 wrote:I have another question where are we moving?

Yeah, I wondor to.

SMILE! GOD LOOOVES YOU!  
~Sing

sing 4 joy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by capeng on 19th July 2013, 3:21 pm

I definitely agree with keeping the blogs the same.
capeng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on 19th July 2013, 3:27 pm

No touching me blog........ [and yes, i just said me blog (:]

"Girl, you are beautiful! So smile! Because someone might be falling in love with it!" <3
Check out my blog, "The dreamer of dreams"!!!! Mrgreen 

Maria
Maria
Maria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by capeng on 19th July 2013, 3:33 pm

*snorts*
capeng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on 19th July 2013, 9:34 pm

*coughs as i hit capeng with a frying pan*Mrgreen

"Girl, you are beautiful! So smile! Because someone might be falling in love with it!" <3
Check out my blog, "The dreamer of dreams"!!!! Mrgreen 

Maria
Maria
Maria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eugene on 21st July 2013, 5:08 pm

sing 4 joy wrote:
Agent 86 wrote:I have another question where are we moving?
 Yeah, I wondor to.
Good question! I guess it might not be as clear as I may have thought. Tongue out

What we're doing is setting up our own installation of the forum software on my server. Once everything is settled, you will still be able to get to Campbell County by using the same address that we use now. It will just look a little different. If that makes sense?

As for the blogs, I've decided to keep it similar to how it works here. Each blog will show up in a section on the index page. Smile

And finally, I now have a schedule worked out for the whole ordeal. I'm still working on trying things out on a test board and will continue to do so for the next week. Then I will be leaving next Sunday and essentially won't be back until the Monday following. On that day (or the day after), we will start a beta period where I will randomly select people to come over and check out the test version of the new board. I will gather feedback and continue to develop all of the features including the chatbox, money, bank, etc. Then when everything is sorted, I will set up the board to replace the current one. That will probably be around the 19th. And that's when we'll make the official move and hopefully have some celebratory events or something.

Keep in mind that I'm working a few jobs over the summer, which is why this will take so long. Also, the schedule could change depending on how things go. At this point, there's not much anyone can help with. But when something comes up, I'll be sure to get others involved to help get this done as soon as we can. Very Happy
Eugene
CC Tech
CC Tech

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AudPod on 21st July 2013, 5:48 pm

Sounds good Smile 
 And hey, you guys have lives too. I don't mind waiting. And I'd love to test it out, hint hint... Wink

My blogs: 
AIO Odds and Ends: aio-oddsandends.blogspot.com
The Life and Times of Audrey K: thelifeandtimesofaudreyk.blogspot.com
AudPod
Elected Official
Elected Official

View user profile http://thelifeandtimesofaudreyk.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Eugene on 21st July 2013, 6:36 pm

AudPod wrote:Sounds good Smile 
 And hey, you guys have lives too. I don't mind waiting. And I'd love to test it out, hint hint... Wink
Haha... Tongue out I'm sure you'll get to test it out! I can't say for sure though... And thanks for your understanding!

Anyway, my main reason for posting again is to inform you all that I was able to successfully edit my join date and even the board start date on the test board. So when we do make the move, I will be able to set all of your join dates to what they are on here. Yayness, right?! happy dance

Eugene
CC Tech
CC Tech

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesusfreak97 on 22nd July 2013, 5:43 pm

I have one other Question. I know we have a Top Posters Thing here. Honestly I don't compete, But How will we Transport the Blogs, topics and comments - To the other site?

Jesusfreak97
Elected Official
Elected Official

View user profile http://beautyfromashes2013.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by godisawesomeness99 on 23rd July 2013, 1:43 am

we can't.... I don't think

The god of angel armies, is always by my side

if you draw the sword, you will surely die by the sword
godisawesomeness99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eugene on 23rd July 2013, 1:58 pm

Yeah, unfortunately we can't move anything. To be sure we could re-write some things, but it won't be directly moved. I'm really sorry about this, but we will keep the Forumotion board around as an archive so people can go back and look at it.

However, I have been looking into some options that may actually allow us to move everything over. No promises though... which is why this is written so tiny... I want to test it before I actually do it for the new board.

Eugene
CC Tech
CC Tech

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jesusfreak97 on 23rd July 2013, 4:51 pm

Eugene wrote:Yeah, unfortunately we can't move anything. To be sure we could re-write some things, but it won't be directly moved. I'm really sorry about this, but we will keep the Forumotion board around as an archive so people can go back and look at it.

However, I have been looking into some options that may actually allow us to move everything over. No promises though... which is why this is written so tiny... I want to test it before I actually do it for the new board.

Oh don't be sorry, I was just asking (: Well, instead of moving everything, Why not just move the holiday posts and the Active topics? Since there are some Topics that have been locked.. and unused for a while?

I understand (:

Jesusfreak97
Elected Official
Elected Official

View user profile http://beautyfromashes2013.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aftershocker on 26th July 2013, 8:26 am

This sounds really cool! Smile

Aftershocker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal15 on 26th July 2013, 12:35 pm

Yeah, I'm cool with moving it. The pros waaay outnumber the cons. Smile

My Blog --> http://metal15likesmetal.blogspot.com

My youtube channel --> http://www.youtube.com/user/Metal15ist
Metal15

View user profile http://metal15likesmetal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RyanCummings on 2nd August 2013, 11:42 pm

That sounds like a good idea. As Metal said, the pros out way the cons. We would still have this as a reference point, so no lost forums really. But we would be able to start fresh, giving the more recent and dedicated members a chance to start fresh and kind of help build the new CC community.

~~~RyanCummings, Community Relations Director for Campbell County, creator of the World Famous Odyssey podcast, writing assistant to Brock Eastman, and SUPER AIO fan.
RyanCummings
Campbell County General Manager
Campbell County General Manager

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent 86 on 3rd August 2013, 1:59 pm

Another problem is we'll have try to mess with code and such. And we won't some of the same prefrences like ads. But blogs could maybe be stronger depending on where we move to.

~Agent 86~

~{(Tron's Shop)}~

The CONTROL Lab

Spoiler:
3 he refreshes my soul.
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
my cup overflows.
all the days of my life,
forever.

Agent 86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bren on 24th October 2013, 3:24 am

Eugene wrote:So, there have been some questions concerning the big move and when that might take place. We are getting closer to our goal, but one thing that will take some time and effort is transferring all of the data from Forumotion to the new board (user accounts, topics, categories, and posts). Then we'll have a link back to the Forumotion board for those who feel nostalgic.We're willing and able to do this transfer, but it could push the moving date back about another week, depending on our schedules. But now we're considering just starting with a clean slate. Anyone who is currently active could create a new account on the new board and we'll recreate some of the topics. We even have the ability to modify each users' post count to reflect their posting history on the Forumotion board.We want to hear your thoughts! This is our community, after all. But we need feedback right away. If we are all in favor to start fresh, we may be able to get this mostly done by Friday night!
I look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Spoiler:
Bren
CC Founder
CC Founder

View user profile http://www.campbellcountymb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IrishTiger on 24th October 2013, 8:51 am

Bren wrote:
Eugene wrote:So, there have been some questions concerning the big move and when that might take place. We are getting closer to our goal, but one thing that will take some time and effort is transferring all of the data from Forumotion to the new board (user accounts, topics, categories, and posts). Then we'll have a link back to the Forumotion board for those who feel nostalgic.We're willing and able to do this transfer, but it could push the moving date back about another week, depending on our schedules. But now we're considering just starting with a clean slate. Anyone who is currently active could create a new account on the new board and we'll recreate some of the topics. We even have the ability to modify each users' post count to reflect their posting history on the Forumotion board.We want to hear your thoughts! This is our community, after all. But we need feedback right away. If we are all in favor to start fresh, we may be able to get this mostly done by Friday night!
I look forward to hearing what you guys think.
As much as it would be awesome to have everything on the new board, I don't want tons of work being put into moving all the topics when we can just recreate the topics we want. I'd rather get the move done and over with. We should have the same categories but I wouldn't go through the trouble of moving all the topics and posts over. And yeah, I think we should update the join dates and the post counts for each person once they move to the new board.

~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
IrishTiger
Elected Official
Elected Official

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty on 24th October 2013, 3:40 pm

Yeah, at this point, we don't need to be doing more work than necessary. We'll have plenty of time on this new site to post.
Monty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CD333 on 24th October 2013, 5:06 pm

I think we should set a date and just move.  The pros outweigh the cons as others have said.  Just do it already.

Grandpa B. May you rest in peace.

CD333

View user profile http://odysseyblog.weebly.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Agent 86 on 24th October 2013, 5:13 pm

the cons are bad, but we can take of some of them I think.
And we can take some things and implement them, though not a lot.

~Agent 86~

~{(Tron's Shop)}~

The CONTROL Lab

Spoiler:
3 he refreshes my soul.
for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
my cup overflows.
all the days of my life,
forever.

Agent 86

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bren on 24th October 2013, 5:18 pm

Well, we do have some last minute coding to finish up but we wanted to make sure you guys were ok with not having your posts tied to the new board.

Spoiler:
Bren
CC Founder
CC Founder

View user profile http://www.campbellcountymb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top