Most users ever online was 27 on 15th May 2013, 11:59 am
Top posting users this month

Today’s Show
Powered by The Odyssey Scoop.

What Does It Mean to... Be a Friend?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What Does It Mean to... Be a Friend?

Post by Sunshine on 17th June 2013, 5:57 pm

My youth group is starting a series of discussions with the beginning title, "What does it mean to..." We're discussing things that Christians are "supposed to do" but really aren't understood in our culture.  So I thought I'd post the same discussion topics here, and see what comments you guys have too.

Last time we did the topic, "What does it mean to... be a friend?"

A few things that we discussed were:

• Can we have non-Christian friends?
  • How can we specifically be friends, and be a testimony for Christ with non-Christians?
  • What are the benefits of having a close friend(s)?
  • Are there some disadvantages to have close friends?
  • In the mid or late (I can't remember which specifically) 1900's, people would probably have at least 3-4 very close friends.  Now people only have 1 or possibly 2 (if any!) really close friends.  Thoughts?  (Maybe we aren't meant to have an audience of 500 "friends" for everything we say aka facebook/social media?)
  • How do we have friends, while not finding our whole identity in our friends (we need our identity to be in Christ!)?

What are your thoughts?  Feel free to post them below.  Smile

Sunshine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What Does It Mean to... Be a Friend?

Post by Sko on 17th June 2013, 9:57 pm

Quick note, I don't consider my opinion to be definitive, or even close, on these matters. Feel free to contest any of this. That aside...

Can we have non-Christian friends?

I'd venture a "yes", because if we're going to evangelize, we need to get to know non-Christians. But, as always, be careful.

What are the benefits of having a close friend(s)?

Sometimes, you need people to talk to. People who can help you out emotionally, who you can help out in return. Having close friends is extremely anti-prideful, too.

How do we have friends, while not finding our whole identity in our friends (we need our identity to be in Christ!)?

Make God your goal, instead of pleasing your friends. It's all a matter of priorities, and our natural sinfull state is invalid.

Sko
On Vacation
On Vacation

View user profile http://tech.ryanhoots.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by godisawesomeness99 on 17th June 2013, 11:40 pm

it means that you have to stick by them no matter what Very Happy

The god of angel armies, is always by my side

if you draw the sword, you will surely die by the sword
godisawesomeness99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 18th June 2013, 6:24 pm

[*]Can we have non-Christian friends?
[*]Yes I have a lot of them
[*]How can we specifically be friends, and be a testimony for Christ with non-Christians? Being different not laughing at certain jokes. Not commenting on certain things they say.
[*]In the mid or late (I can't remember which specifically) 1900's, people would probably have at least3-4 very close friends.  Now people only have 1 or possibly 2 (if any!) really close friends.  Thoughts?  (Maybe we aren't meant to have an audience of 500 "friends" for everything we say aka facebook/social media?)
[*]I only have a few friends and no particularly close friends so no comment
[*]How do we have friends, while not finding our whole identity in our friends (we need our identity to be in Christ!)?Hmmm

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on 18th June 2013, 9:08 pm

• Q:Can we have non-Christian friends?
  • A:I have a few, i try not to be "buds" because they influence me other wise.....
  • Q:How can we specifically be friends, and be a testimony for Christ with non-Christians?
  • A:We can shine our light, we dont always have to "preach", it should be obvious that we are Christians, plus when their trapped in their sin, thats a great way to see them get saved
  • Q:What are the benefits of having a close friend(s)?
  • A:When i am stuck, my christian friends help me get closer to God, even through the tough times, PLUS they rejoice with me in times of joy
  • Q:Are there some disadvantages to have close friends?
  • A:When they treat you differently for a sin you did or they tell people your secrets on "accident" Rolling Eyes
  • Q:In the mid or late (I can't remember which specifically) 1900's, people would probably have at least 3-4 very close friends.  Now people only have 1 or possibly 2 (if any!) really close friends.  Thoughts?  (Maybe we aren't meant to have an audience of 500 "friends" for everything we say aka facebook/social media?)
  • A: I have a few best best friends, some online, but most in real life, generally, if your gonna be my friend, i'll get close to you, other wise, your more of an acquittance. 
  • Q:How do we have friends, while not finding our whole identity in our friends (we need our identity to be in Christ!)?
  • A: I try remembering that i need to be who God wants me to be, not trying to be like my friend, but being like Christ

"Girl, you are beautiful! So smile! Because someone might be falling in love with it!" <3
Check out my blog, "The dreamer of dreams"!!!! Mrgreen 

Maria
Maria
Maria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarinda on 8th July 2013, 7:01 pm

I think if you have non christian friends you could have them so you could tell them about Jesus my youth leader said something about that. my youth group had a bible caring chalinge where they had to carry there Bibles wherever they went and one girl some kids at her school because of her caring her Bible gave there lives to Jesus.

"Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,
Nine for mortal men doomed to die, one for the Dark Lord on his dark throne In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the land of Mordor where the shadow lie."
-J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings.

Amarinda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 9th July 2013, 3:09 pm

That is kind of like missionary dating which it is hard. Most of the people in my homeschooling are non-believers and it is becoming increasingly difficult for me to stay different. Missionary befriending is not very advisable. I would prefer to tell some one I don't know well about Christ than someone I know well.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum