Today’s Show
Powered by The Odyssey Scoop.

What denomination are you?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What denomination are you?

Post by Samansa14 on 5th June 2013, 11:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've always wondered for some of you. I'm not sure what I could be called these days. Think I just go with "Believer in Christ". Yes

Arkán&Sammy Besters Forever
Samansa14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What denomination are you?

Post by Amarinda on 13th July 2013, 4:04 pm

HannahJ. wrote:Well my church used to be Pentecostal but we don't really have a denomination right now..So we are Non-Denomanational. We have lots of the same believes as pentecostals. But We are allowed to wear pants ,wear jewelry, dance, cut our hair, listen to anything we choose to, etc.. 
 We can freak people out still... haha. Especially at youth camp..It's AWESOME!

when you are pentecostal you can't wear jewelry or dance?

"Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,
Nine for mortal men doomed to die, one for the Dark Lord on his dark throne In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the land of Mordor where the shadow lie."
-J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings.

Amarinda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 13th July 2013, 4:09 pm

Oh never heard of that kind of Babtist Church. Well Pentacostal pretty much don't obey the no jewelry etc rule most I know at least.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannahJ. on 13th July 2013, 4:13 pm

Amarinda wrote:
HannahJ. wrote:Well my church used to be Pentecostal but we don't really have a denomination right now..So we are Non-Denomanational. We have lots of the same believes as pentecostals. But We are allowed to wear pants ,wear jewelry, dance, cut our hair, listen to anything we choose to, etc.. 

when you are pentecostal you can't wear jewelry or dance?

It's common. It all depends really =D

Sincerely, Hannah 
"You have turned for me my mourning into dancing"

-Psalms 30:11
HannahJ.

View user profile http://me4theking.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarinda on 13th July 2013, 4:13 pm

ah ok I see.

"Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,
Nine for mortal men doomed to die, one for the Dark Lord on his dark throne In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the land of Mordor where the shadow lie."

Amarinda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renae on 13th July 2013, 6:28 pm

Thor's Hammer wrote:Oh never heard of that kind of Babtist Church. Well Pentacostal pretty much don't obey the no jewelry etc rule most I know at least.

If you are a member at my church, you are expected to follow rules (and boyyy do we have lots of rules). However, I really like my church. To get a better picture, we used to be part of a Southern Baptist organization however we couldn't afford the membership after a while Crying 

(you have heard of Southern Baptists...right? Suspect )

"They will be called oaks of righteousness: a planting of the LORD, for the display of His splendour."
Renae

Location : ...I'll be in a different place every time you read this...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by godisawesomeness99 on 13th July 2013, 7:36 pm

I have not heard of southern babtists

The god of angel armies, is always by my side

if you draw the sword, you will surely die by the sword
godisawesomeness99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannahJ. on 14th July 2013, 12:13 pm

godisawesomeness99 wrote:I have not heard of southern babtists

You haven't?? Ever heard of the Duggars there Southern Baptists =D

Sincerely, Hannah 

HannahJ.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 14th July 2013, 1:36 pm

Yes I have heard of southern Baptist and rather like them.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by godisawesomeness99 on 14th July 2013, 7:44 pm

HannahJ. wrote:
godisawesomeness99 wrote:I have not heard of southern babtists

You haven't?? Ever heard of the Duggars there Southern Baptists =D

I have kind of heard of the duggars

godisawesomeness99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.S. (myself) on 14th July 2013, 10:28 pm

OOOHHH. This makes sense. You posted something on the SS about wearing jewelry, and I was unaware that your church was technically no longer Pentecostal. Is there a specific reason your church isn't Pentecostal anymore, if you are comfortable sharing? (if not, that's fine too)

Amarinda, I believe that the Pentecostal denomination shares a lot with the Holiness movement, which came out of the Methodist denomination (if that makes any sense). It's pretty common for those churches (especially Holiness and Oneness Pentecostal) to have rules/beliefs against jewelry (exceptions would be wedding rings), women cutting their hair, men having long hair, and some articles of clothing or styles of dress.

I've never really understood what makes a Southern Baptist church Southern Baptist. Do they have any differences in doctrine from other Baptists, or is it only a difference in region that separates them?

Interesting story: On a mission trip I was on with a group from my church, we visited a nearby Baptist church for their Wednesday night youth group activities/service. After we broke up into smaller groups, a church youth leader asked our group what denomination we were from. I replied "We are non denominational", to which he jokingly responded "YOU SCUM!!!". We got a laugh out of that. Wink

T.S. (myself)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renae on 14th July 2013, 10:59 pm

@T.S. (myself)
I have been told that Southern Baptist are more conservative then your every day Baptist. And judging by the Southern Baptist churches I've been to, I have to say that this is very very true.

"They will be called oaks of righteousness: a planting of the LORD, for the display of His splendour."
Renae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarinda on 15th July 2013, 10:32 am

Renae wrote:I am Baptist. No doubt about that. 

Bren wrote:Pentecostal, but most of you already know that. We're those people that freak everyone else out.

Hehe...and Baptist are those super scary conservatives that will flip if they see so much as your ankle (girls and boys) O.o

why the ankle? do they also not let you show you arms or wrists or feet or hands??

Amarinda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 15th July 2013, 11:34 am

Yes most Southern Baptist are very strict though not showing wrists or hands would be extreme.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HannahJ. on 15th July 2013, 11:56 am

T.S. (myself) wrote:

OOOHHH. This makes sense. You posted something on the SS about wearing jewelry, and I was unaware that your church was technically no longer Pentecostal. Is there a specific reason your church isn't Pentecostal anymore, if you are comfortable sharing? (if not, that's fine too)

Amarinda, I believe that the Pentecostal denomination shares a lot with the Holiness movement, which came out of the Methodist denomination (if that makes any sense). It's pretty common for those churches (especially Holiness and Oneness Pentecostal) to have rules/beliefs against jewelry (exceptions would be wedding rings), women cutting their hair, men having long hair, and some articles of clothing or styles of dress.
 Well we didn't like all the standards and stuff(no hair cutting, wearing jewelry,etc..) It just felt like a LOT of rules. And UPC was just not working for us. So we left. That was years ago. We kept Pentecostal in our name till a year or so ago and we decided that some people thought we still had standards and stuff so we got rid of the Pentecostal in our name. I still consider myself Pentecostal as we still are oneness, still speak in tongues, etc.. =D Hope that explains

Sincerely, Hannah 

HannahJ.

Back to top Go down

Post by godisawesomeness99 on 15th July 2013, 7:56 pm

Thor's Hammer wrote:Yes most Southern Baptist are very strict though not showing wrists or hands would be extreme.

That does sound very strict

godisawesomeness99

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarinda on 15th July 2013, 8:26 pm

I had never heard of that kind of Baptist. I only knew about the Baptists who were not extreme you know the regular ones. cause the Baptist church I go to they can totally show their ankles.lol

Amarinda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Old Judge on 16th July 2013, 7:23 am

Even though I have respect toward the SBC, Thor's Hammer, as our church was once a member, they seem to be straying from their foundations, especially in the field of music.

The Old Judge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by capeng on 16th July 2013, 8:58 am

Metal15 wrote:
capeng wrote:I am Reformed Baptist.  (Not to be confused with the Reformed denomination.)  We are primarily Baptist, but we believe a few things kinda differently, and emphasize different things.

Oh, like what? (Just curious, not meaning to cause a debate, lol Very Happy)

No.  lol  that's ok, man.  Very Happy
Specifically, we don't baptize infants.  We believe that baptism is an outward confession of inward salvation.  Therefore, to be baptized, one must be saved, which involves a consious decision to follow Christ.  Babies are not in a position intellectually to make this deliberate decision, and therefore cannot be properly baptized.

Also, relating to salvation, we tend to focus less on the fact that one must decide to "accept Christ" into their life.  We do not deny that one must choose to follow Christ, but we recognize that, in the background, God is doing work.  Briefly, it's like this.  Before salvation, the Bible teaches that everyone is spiritually dead and hates God with every fiber of their being.  They want no part of his rule over their life.  If it were completely up to them, they would NEVER make that "decision."  The ONLY reason they end up making that decision is because sometime before, the Holy Spirit works on that person's heart, waking them up to who Christ really is, and instead of loving their sin, they now love Christ.  That is why they make that decision.  It is just as natural to them as loving a child is to a mother. 
Other Baptists most likely agree, but often, the emphasis is on getting the person to make that decision, whereas we don't.

These, then, are a few of the most important differences between Baptists and Reformed Baptists.  Not TOO different, but still existent.  Hope that helps clarify, Metal15.  Smile
capeng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renae on 16th July 2013, 9:59 am

capeng wrote:No.  lol  that's ok, man.  Very Happy
Specifically, we don't baptize infants.  We believe that baptism is an outward confession of inward salvation.  Therefore, to be baptized, one must be saved, which involves a consious decision to follow Christ.  Babies are not in a position intellectually to make this deliberate decision, and therefore cannot be properly baptized.

These, then, are a few of the most important differences between Baptists and Reformed Baptists.  Not TOO different, but still existent.  Hope that helps clarify, Metal15.  Smile

Um, I'm not sure what kind of Baptist churches you have occasionally frequented, but we do NOT baptize infants. Why do you say that?

Renae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by capeng on 16th July 2013, 1:14 pm

Because I have been to MANY Baptist churches which do practice paetobaptism.  Obviously, it will not be a solid rule, where if you're Baptist, you believe in baptizing babies, but there are enough Baptist churches out there that do to cause us to list that as a firm distinction.
capeng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 16th July 2013, 1:53 pm

I have never been to a Baptist Church that baptizes babies. Well we would go to them anyway.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzy on 17th July 2013, 1:03 am

capeng wrote:Because I have been to MANY Baptist churches which do practice paetobaptism.  Obviously, it will not be a solid rule, where if you're Baptist, you believe in baptizing babies, but there are enough Baptist churches out there that do to cause us to list that as a firm distinction.

Hmm. This is interesting. I did a bit of research on Infant baptisim, and was surprised to see many denominations practice paedobaptism- seeing as usually only Catholics come to mind on this topic. Even Methodist, Lutherans and some Presbyterians practice it...And- GASP! Church of Christ!!!- I, ahem, am Church of Christ, by the way.(:

A girl should be two things...classy & fabulous! -coco chanel
Suzy

View user profile http://instagram.com/suzylou113/#

Back to top Go down

Post by capeng on 17th July 2013, 10:20 am

Yea.  I don't believe many official Baptist creeds and statements of belief endorse paedobaptism specifically, but so many Baptist churches are not completely, 100% solidified with their affiliation, so to speak.  And there are so many different denominations within the "Baptist" realm.
capeng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 17th July 2013, 2:19 pm

Though a lot of Baptist just count themselves Baptist especially over here in Africa. We have a lot of Baptist which border on a lot of other things. Though Baptizing infant would totally make you not Baptist because Baptist was founded against that belief.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by IrishTiger on 28th September 2013, 3:36 pm

I'm a Baptist, born-again believer in Christ.

~IrishTiger

2 Corinthians 12:10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
IrishTiger
Elected Official
Elected Official

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: