Today’s Show
Powered by The Odyssey Scoop.

How Far Do You Take Modesty?

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How Far Do You Take Modesty?

Post by Bren on 25th February 2013, 8:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

This could turn into a debate which would be cool with the dead debate faction...Anyway, how far do you take modesty? I personally don't see anything wrong with wearing shorts showing my knees if I'm at home or with some guy friends but I probably wouldn't around girls. These days it's not hard to be a stumbling block to someone and I wouldn't want to cause a girl to stumble.

Spoiler:
Bren
CC Founder
CC Founder

View user profile http://www.campbellcountymb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How Far Do You Take Modesty?

Post by Thor's Hammer on 12th June 2013, 2:46 pm

I agree with your statement whole heartily. Baggy does fit anyone.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound Foolish on 12th June 2013, 2:57 pm

Ha ha, Thor Smile

Renae, so, if a woman doesn't dress according to your preferences, her clothing doesn't make her look like a lady? "This conversation is feeling very one-sided." ~How To Train Your Dragon

"Woooooot-onnnnnnnn!"
Penny Wise

Pound Foolish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on 12th June 2013, 7:34 pm

Oooooh i loved that Renae!! hahahaha well skyboy, i understood what you were saying, and it really made sense...but that's cuz i'm your cloudy girl and i'm just so sweet (:

"Girl, you are beautiful! So smile! Because someone might be falling in love with it!" <3
Check out my blog, "The dreamer of dreams"!!!! Mrgreen 

Maria
Maria
Maria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarinda on 12th June 2013, 10:23 pm

Pound Foolish wrote:Hate to tell you, but almost all jeans slip down enough for you to see the brand of underwear. Personally though, I never read it. I prefer a fantasy novel. Underwear just isn't good reading.
Okay, sorry, done. I know that some of you are talking about the style that is really low, so that it dangles around your lower thighs. I don't know how gross those are... I've never worn them myself.
As for tight clothing, I concur with all who say super tight clothes are wrong. Obviously, showing our shape is horrible. We should never reveal our outlines. Modesty is lack of revealing our shape! Wait... if that's true, then logically, modesty doesn't exist. If it's lack of something, like darkness or silence, it's technically not there... which means your wearing NOTHING! Ahhh!
Wait... what am I saying? Anyhow, point is, whatever modesty is, it's not lack of revealed skin or lack of showing our figure.
(Honestly, we never have conversations this scandalous on SS. You Campbell County Citizens are psycho...
Love it!
haha I love this, PF!!!^

Amarinda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal15 on 17th June 2013, 11:58 am

I hate wearing baggy clothes, just for the record. Very Happy

My Blog --> http://metal15likesmetal.blogspot.com

My youtube channel --> http://www.youtube.com/user/Metal15ist
Metal15

View user profile http://metal15likesmetal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grim Robot Bunny on 19th June 2013, 10:09 am

I like that saying too Remy!

Okay so I have tried to stay out of this but...

Here is a video that explains modesty very well. http://www.qideas.org/video/the-evolution-of-the-swimsuit.aspx

For those of you whom can't go else where on the internet.
" Fashion matters. It influences the imagination and drives the way people uniquely represent themselves. The evolution of the women’s swimsuit is one place where there has been a visible shift away from modesty. In the current world of swimwear, small is often beautiful and less is considered more desirable. But designer and actress Jessica Rey asks, “Who says it has to be itsy bitsy?” Rey argues that within the construct of modesty, there is a freedom—that modesty isn't about covering up what's bad, but about revealing dignity."

I would never say that, if you wear skinny clothes, or really short shorts, and other "Fashionable" clothing, that you are not a Christian but rather I would say you are immature and uninformed, or sadly just don't give a rip.
I personally dress very classy, and modest. I think pants are fine, but I personally don't wear them. I also think if I were to wear a Bikini (let's define it. Noun 1. A very brief two-piece swimsuit for women. 2. Scanty underpants. ) to the beach I would be more uncomfortable. I mean really do you enjoin "Stuff" riding up every where? (Sorry for the bluntness.) But seriously, it's honestly your choice. You dress how you like. But. Do. Not. Complain. When you no longer have any dignity, self respect and integrity.

Grim Robot Bunny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound Foolish on 19th June 2013, 1:23 pm

Of course. I never, ever respect women who dress in minimal clothing or wear tight clothes. Never, never, no sirree...
Wait. Most people I know do that.
Never mind. I'd like to not think that almost no one I know has any respect or integrity.

"Woooooot-onnnnnnnn!"
Penny Wise

Pound Foolish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal15 on 19th June 2013, 4:12 pm

Well, I know people(including myself) who wear skinny clothing, and I would NOT say they were immature. Evil or Very Mad Or have no dignity. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Or have no integrity. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

My Blog --> http://metal15likesmetal.blogspot.com

My youtube channel --> http://www.youtube.com/user/Metal15ist
Metal15

View user profile http://metal15likesmetal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Renae on 20th June 2013, 3:47 pm

Pound Foolish wrote:Renae, so, if a woman doesn't dress according to your preferences, her clothing doesn't make her look like a lady? "This conversation is feeling very one-sided." ~How To Train Your Dragon

I don't recall the quote saying anything about my preferences... *scratches head* Suspect

"They will be called oaks of righteousness: a planting of the LORD, for the display of His splendour."
Renae

Location : ...I'll be in a different place every time you read this...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 20th June 2013, 4:18 pm

Hmm that sounds interesting and people do do that know a days.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on 20th June 2013, 5:47 pm

Miah dear, be nice to Renae!! She's my bestie ya know, (:

"Girl, you are beautiful! So smile! Because someone might be falling in love with it!" <3

Maria
Maria
Maria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shalom on 22nd June 2013, 4:02 pm

This topic is making me want to barf.....

Shalom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarinda on 29th June 2013, 4:30 pm

so the people who won't wear tight clothes how do you swim?or do you even swim?
@Bren do you think girls shouldn't be aloud to swim?

"Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,
Nine for mortal men doomed to die, one for the Dark Lord on his dark throne In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the land of Mordor where the shadow lie."
-J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings.

Amarinda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 29th June 2013, 4:37 pm

I saw a muslim with a full body suit swimming so you could buy one of those...

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarinda on 29th June 2013, 4:38 pm

ya but why would they want to? they should just wear normal bathing suits.

"Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,
Nine for mortal men doomed to die, one for the Dark Lord on his dark throne In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the land of Mordor where the shadow lie."

Amarinda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 29th June 2013, 4:39 pm

Agreed. I am a fan of the one piece bathing suit.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarinda on 29th June 2013, 4:40 pm

lol do you wear a one piece bathing suit?jk jk 

ya either that or a tankieni however you spell that.

Amarinda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 29th June 2013, 4:42 pm

And technically most males do wear one piece.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bren on 29th June 2013, 6:32 pm

Well, seeing as my name was mentioned, I'll chime in. I can't really say a whole lot on the female bathing suit aspect. My mom wears shorts and a shirt. That's the best suggestion I have.

Spoiler:
Bren
CC Founder
CC Founder

View user profile http://www.campbellcountymb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AudPod on 29th June 2013, 7:31 pm

I'm jumping in...

For me, I really put personal preference before modesty. Now, that sounds awful, until I tell you that my personal preference is to be modest, but not too much. I know that also sounds awful. I need to rephrase this.

I like wearing shorts above the knee, just because with my body shape, longer shorts just don't look that great on me. I don't wear short shorts, but I do wear some that might be too short to some people. It's not that short to me. I went to a private school for many years, and the shorts I wear are longer than the ones required for that uniform. 

I just don't like being super modest. It's more comfort and style for me. In the summer, I don't like wearing long shirts up to the neck and long skirts. I like tank tops and shorts that aren't super tight, but tight enough to show that I am a lady. I don't like skirts at all, I find them too confining. I like to run and jump and things like that, so whenever I'm wearing a skirt, I can barely even jog. 

But, I just feel uncomfortable whenever I show 'too much skin'. For example, swimsuits. I wear a tankini and swim shorts. It's pretty much like a tank top and my shorts that I wear every day, but I can get them wet. I'm sure I could probably wear a bikini, but I just don't like them on me. I feel like it's a bit too revealing. I like things to be comfortable and cute, and then I think of modesty. I'll be browsing through the store, and I'll spot something that I like. Then I'll check and see that it's not showing too much skin. 

Whenever I watch a show like 19 Kids and Counting and I'll see the girls wearing a swimsuit that is a long sleeve top and long shorts, I'll just think, how awful and uncomfortable that must be! Who really wants to wear something like that when you are supposed to be getting wet and having fun? Or when the girls wear skirts down to their ankles. You have to take care of kids all day. How the heck are you going to chase after them?

That's my opinion on it. For guys, it's just like, pull your pants up or something. I dunno.

My blogs: 
AIO Odds and Ends: aio-oddsandends.blogspot.com
The Life and Times of Audrey K: thelifeandtimesofaudreyk.blogspot.com
AudPod
Elected Official
Elected Official

View user profile http://thelifeandtimesofaudreyk.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 30th June 2013, 11:50 am

Now I completely agree with everything you say. And so do most people I think.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzy on 30th June 2013, 2:35 pm

Dressing modestly in a conservative style (for example, Duggar fashion) is actually very nice. I dress that way, and I swim (although, I don't normally wear long sleeve shirts, but I do wear long shorts) play sports, games and all the other activities and feel just fine. As for running after kids, I chase my two-year old twin girls around all day in a skirt...it's no more difficult then pants. I'm not trying to judge anyone or anything...just saying conservative modesty is NOT uncomfortable.

A girl should be two things...classy & fabulous! -coco chanel
Suzy

View user profile http://instagram.com/suzylou113/#

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound Foolish on 30th June 2013, 7:47 pm

Nice to see you, Sweetie Lou! Welcome back.
Having said, that... argue time!
It's worth pointing out: you've never experienced anything besides wearing long skirts as the standard. It seems Araminda's considered different things, keeps an open mind, and has reached a good balance.
Unsurprisingly, I thought of you when I read Araminda's post. Naturally, I know you "chase kids" in a long skirt. However, again, to you, that's like breathing.
Frankly, being accustomed wearing shorts and/or a shirt to swim sounds rather like being accustomed to listening to second-rate rap music all day because they've never heard a symphony.
Anyhow, that's not to attack how you dress normally. Being a beach-kid, one can't understand why someone wouldn't want to feel the ocean as much as possible when swimming.
But as a general rule, things are pretty much up for grabs. Dress however you like! (It's obviously working for you, you always look gorgeous.)
The fact remains though, even though long skirts work for you, people unused to them won't necessarily like them.
Personally, I wouldn't wear one for anything. Lederhosen all the way!

Last edited by Pound Foolish on 30th June 2013, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Woooooot-onnnnnnnn!"
Penny Wise

Pound Foolish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzy on 30th June 2013, 8:51 pm

That is also very true, Myah. I have to say, its difficult for me to wear pants when I DO wear them on occasion. I feel exposed and the tightness can be uncomfortable...but really, just because you've worn pants all your life doesn't mean you can't become accustomed to wearing skirts, or vice versa. I know MANY people who have made the switch...and both ways.
Anyway, point is- I think you should read your Bible thoroughly, see what God has to say about modesty, then take it or leave it. It is your decision on how you dress...and how you display and portray yourself will leave a huge impact on any and everyone you meet.

Oh! And for the record, I actually kind of admire the way muslim women dress. It is pretty amazing, really. Unnecessary maybe, yes. But admirable. As people in todays culture, it seems like we can never show enough of our skin. From the chunky-dunks, to the skinny little hoochie mamas. It seems like everyone thinks they have to show what they got. Tongue out
Suzy

View user profile http://instagram.com/suzylou113/#

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on 30th June 2013, 10:39 pm

Wow, lots of opinions flying. Honestly, I love my "short shorts" they are short to alot of people, but honestly i adore them. I look horrible in athletic shorts....eewwww gives me nightmares jus thinking about it. lol. I adore fancy dresses, i have no problem with strapless, or a little cleavage showing, [mind you, i said little!] I'll probably get alot of people saying how i'm wrong, and such, but hey, i may have an opinion. I like some skirts, depending the styles and colors. Bathing suits, well, its possible for them to be cute and modest. And hey, it's nice to be modest, i love my tight t-shirts tho. I dont think their immodest. I think when a girl walks out showing her chest hanging out yeah thats immodest. And your saying my slightly tight shirt that shows no cleavage is immodest? Ok.....whatev....lol I wanna please my Lord in all that i do, even this issue, but you guys make it sound as if a woman's body is bad. It's not bad! I just could never go show off 90% of my body and have my husband on my wedding night see the rest of the 10%, and have Jesus when i get to heaven say "Mary, you showed off your secret beauty to all the world, when only one man should've seen that, your husband." So....in my opinion slightly short shorts aren't bad, showing a little tiny cleavage doesn't seem bad to me, and a little tight shirt? Sounds like my wardrobe! Lets get out some flip-flops! Cool 

Maria
Maria
Maria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top