Top posting users this month

Today’s Show
Powered by The Odyssey Scoop.

How Far Do You Take Modesty?

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How Far Do You Take Modesty?

Post by Bren on 25th February 2013, 8:50 pm

This could turn into a debate which would be cool with the dead debate faction...Anyway, how far do you take modesty? I personally don't see anything wrong with wearing shorts showing my knees if I'm at home or with some guy friends but I probably wouldn't around girls. These days it's not hard to be a stumbling block to someone and I wouldn't want to cause a girl to stumble.

Spoiler:
Bren
CC Founder
CC Founder

View user profile http://www.campbellcountymb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: How Far Do You Take Modesty?

Post by Maria on 25th February 2013, 9:08 pm

I see nothing wrong with shorts, i think short shorts are ok if your married and so are bikinis, [forgive my outspokenness! =)] when i get married, i'll so were that kind of thing. Cool well, unless my husband has a problemo with it, =P

"Girl, you are beautiful! So smile! Because someone might be falling in love with it!" <3
Check out my blog, "The dreamer of dreams"!!!! Mrgreen 

Maria
Maria
Maria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzy on 25th February 2013, 9:37 pm

Maria wrote:I see nothing wrong with shorts, i think short shorts are ok if your married and so are bikinis, [forgive my outspokenness! =)] when i get married, i'll so were that kind of thing. Cool well, unless my husband has a problemo with it, =P
What do you mean "they are okay if you're married"? Are you saying you think its okay for us girls to strut around town in itty bitty clothes ONLY if we were married? Or are you saying only wearing them in front of your husband within the home and no where else is okay?

A girl should be two things...classy & fabulous! -coco chanel
Suzy

View user profile http://instagram.com/suzylou113/#

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on 25th February 2013, 9:39 pm

i'm saying i'd only were those clothes in front of my man, where no one else could see, you see, i've been saving myself for my man, i would only want his eyes to see my hidden beauty

"Girl, you are beautiful! So smile! Because someone might be falling in love with it!" <3

Maria
Maria
Maria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Suzy on 25th February 2013, 9:51 pm

Maria wrote:i'm saying i'd only were those clothes in front of my man, where no one else could see, you see, i've been saving myself for my man, i would only want his eyes to see my hidden beauty
Ah. Okay. Makes sense. Thank you for clearing that up.

A girl should be two things...classy & fabulous! -coco chanel
Suzy

View user profile http://instagram.com/suzylou113/#

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria on 25th February 2013, 10:24 pm

Yeah, after reading that post again i can see how that could be confusing, =P

Maria
Maria
Maria

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maya R on 25th February 2013, 11:47 pm

That was quite confusing Wink
I personally, take modesty alot farther than most people I know. I try to wear only high (but not choking high) necklines, and lose fitting shirts. And I wear all skirts that never show anything above my knees. Most of my skirts hang well below that point though.

Maya R
County Official
County Official

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by underseasie on 26th February 2013, 12:58 pm

I wear normal shirts, so long as they're not to see through, and skirts around the knees, though I don't wear skirts that often. I don't like shorts, but that's my personal opinion, I don't think they're im-modest, (so long as they're long) I just think they're un-comfortable. I don't think that two-piece swimsuits are modest, even if they cover everything.

underseasie
Elected Official
Elected Official

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Metal15 on 5th March 2013, 11:37 am

Yea, I don't think bikinis are very modest either, that's why I don't wear 'em. Smile

My Blog --> http://metal15likesmetal.blogspot.com

My youtube channel --> http://www.youtube.com/user/Metal15ist
Metal15

View user profile http://metal15likesmetal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by capeng on 5th March 2013, 11:48 am

Metal..... Harde-har-har.
capeng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaida on 5th March 2013, 1:34 pm

I wear a bikini BUT I wear a tank top and shorts over it. I don't really feel comfortable wearing just a bikini. I would get a one piece but it's been really hard to find one and buying bikini tops and bottoms is less expensive. Well for me it is.

Isaiah 40:8
1 Corinthians 10:31
Kaida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.S. (myself) on 5th March 2013, 5:07 pm

I would say there is a large distinction between actually going swimming-swimming or just fun-swimming.

T.S. (myself)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amarinda on 25th March 2013, 7:00 pm

@Bren girls aren't like that they don't stumble over boys knees they go for how a guys treats them not if they show there knees or not.And if anything it would not be the boy's knees it would probably be the way he looks
And I'm a girl so trust me

"Three rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in halls of stone,
Nine for mortal men doomed to die, one for the Dark Lord on his dark throne In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the land of Mordor where the shadow lie."
-J.R.R Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings.

Amarinda

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Barclay on 25th March 2013, 11:02 pm

Amarinda wrote:@Bren girls aren't like that they don't stumble over boys knees they go for how a guys treats them not if they show there knees or not.And if anything it would not be the boy's knees it would probably be the way he looks
And I'm a girl so trust me

Yea you're a girl, but at 69 you probably forgot what falling in love feels like, Razz

Jimmy Barclay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 26th March 2013, 2:47 pm

I don't have a problem with above the knee shorts or skirts but I do have a problem with extremely short shorts. I don't really care if women wear a bikini or a single piece swimsuit.

fun fact: I saw a muslim lady swimming with a complete swimsuit. Head covered, long sleeves for legs and hands. Now that is over board.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shalom on 26th March 2013, 9:00 pm

Why don't you have a problem with bikinis but you do with short shorts ? Bikinis are shorter.

Shalom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thor's Hammer on 27th March 2013, 11:28 am

Because bikinis stick to a swimming pool, short shorts are every where.

I hates Emily

Thor's Hammer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Barclay on 27th March 2013, 12:20 pm

conquestor wrote:Because bikinis stick to a swimming pool, short shorts are every where.

That's like saying strip clubs are ok because they're not accessible to everyone.

Jimmy Barclay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by God's Girl on 27th March 2013, 7:16 pm

conquestor wrote:Because bikinis stick to a swimming pool, short shorts are every where.

Unfortunatly, this isn't true. Go to any beachside (or lakeside, in my case) town, and you will find girls strutting around everywhere: in shops, in eaterys, you name it, in bikinis.

My opinion on swimsuits is that modest one-pieces are fine, as are tankinis (2 pieces that cover everything).

For me personally, I prefer a swimsuit with a skirt.
God's Girl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shalom on 27th March 2013, 9:32 pm

Very,very true , Gg

Shalom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Batgirl on 29th March 2013, 5:12 pm

I caught this topic on facebook and though I might share... ( THIS IS NOT MINE).
"Call me homeschooled or old fashion, but it saddens me to see the amount of girls who call themselves Christians wearing bikinis. The Bible clearly tells us to be modest, so why is there such confusion? Why do we see the Christian girl we go to church with walking around in a bikini? 1 Timothy 2:9 - "And I want women to be modest in their appearance. They should wear decent and appropriate clothing and not draw attention to themselves by the way they fix their hair or by wearing gold or pearls or expensive clothes." Why wear a bikini? So guys will look at you? Correct me ... See More if I'm wrong, but that's causing them to sin. Matthew 5:27-28-"You have heard that is was said, 'You shall not commit adultery.' But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart." People ask me why I chose to wear one-pieces, and I tell them it's not because I'm this overly religious homeschooled freak, but because I want to be modest, and I want to be able to have a good time at the beach without causing other guys, whether Christian or non-Christian to stumble. "...do all things to the glory of God."-1 Corinthians 10:31 "

Batgirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shalom on 29th March 2013, 8:43 pm

I loved that and I totally agree with you,Batgirl.

Shalom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T.S. (myself) on 30th March 2013, 11:23 pm

Thank you, Batgirl. I thought that the post came too close to questioning the Christianity of those who wear immodest clothing. That is not for us to decide.

There is not a universal standard for modesty. While we might call certain clothing immodest, others in turn consider our clothing immodest. We can't apply our own standard to everyone, though it is better to be overly modest than anything else.

I would also like to point out that some women are physically incapable of wearing a one piece/completely modest swim suit.

I would also like to point out that if you are truly swimming, either all the way in the water or swimming for exercise, no one should even be able to tell what kind of swimming suit you have on. My family and I live fairly close to a body of water of undisclosed size. I have never been to a swimming pool in our area, so my views will be a little different than most. The water is dark enough (though very clean) that if one swims one or two feet below the surface, no one can even see you. An excessively modest swim suit is hardly necessary in such an environment.

If one were on a crowded beach or basking near a pool, the environment is obviously very different, and the standard should be adjusted accordingly.

T.S. (myself)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Barclay on 31st March 2013, 10:28 am

Ok, so I agree with most of your conclusions T.S., however I do find that the way in which you produced them is a bit sketchy.

T.S. (myself) wrote:Thank you, Batgirl. I thought that the post came too close to questioning the Christianity of those who wear immodest clothing. That is not for us to decide.

I agree that judging is not our place, however, we can compare what people are doing to the Bible and see if it's biblical or not.

T.S. (myself wrote:There is not a universal standard for modesty. While we might call certain clothing immodest, others in turn consider our clothing immodest. We can't apply our own standard to everyone, though it is better to be overly modest than anything else.

I completely agree.

T.S. (myself) wrote:I would also like to point out that some women are physically incapable of wearing a one piece/completely modest swim suit.

Really? Do I want to hear an explanation? How could you be physically incapable? For any body type, there's modest swimming apparel.

T.S. (myself) wrote:I would also like to point out that if you are truly swimming, either all the way in the water or swimming for exercise, no one should even be able to tell what kind of swimming suit you have on.

What does that mean? You can't swim and be "halfway" in the water. So simple logic suggests that you indeed have to be "all the way in the water". Now if you were simply referring to walking around in the shallow water playing with a beach ball, I understand.

T.S (myself) wrote:My family and I live fairly close to a body of water of undisclosed size. I have never been to a swimming pool in our area, so my views will be a little different than most. The water is dark enough (though very clean) that if one swims one or two feet below the surface, no one can even see you. An excessively modest swim suit is hardly necessary in such an environment.

Ok now I'm wondering if you've ever been swimming. Unless you've mastered the art of holding your breath for eons(kudos if you have). Swimming two feet below the surface the whole afternoon would be an incredible feat of biblical proportions. A normal swimming position submerges most of your body(except head/shoulders) anywhere from 4-8 inches, so unless your lake is a enormous ink well, a persons body would still be clearly visible.

T.S. (myself) wrote:If one were on a crowded beach or basking near a pool, the environment is obviously very different, and the standard should be adjusted accordingly.

I also agree with that. I detest arguing about what kind of swimwear girls should wear, however in my humble opinion, a decent, modest one piece is very acceptable.
And I have no problem with wearing shorts/skirts over them. It's really a personal decision, where their's a definite no-no area, but after that it's really what you feel comfortable with, and what you know God would deem acceptable.

Jimmy Barclay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Renae on 5th April 2013, 6:33 pm

I'm not gonna impose my beliefs about modesty on anyone. At this point in my life its a lot about what my conscience tells me, but more so about what rules my father puts for me.
I will say this though, whenever I do go to the beach or to the pool and where my tankini and shorts, or shirt and shorts, I tend to stand out. I have actually been asked many times whether or not I am a Christian. I find this awesome; that people are able to distinguish a Christian through not only the way that that person acts, but also the way that that person looks and dresses, amazes me! The Bible says "Do not conform to the ways of this world", and I believe that in this way I fulfil this special commandant. This is very often motivation for me (not that I need it...my dad is always there to motivate me with the whip of his belt, jk jk tongue )

"They will be called oaks of righteousness: a planting of the LORD, for the display of His splendour."
Renae

Location : ...I'll be in a different place every time you read this...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum