Log in

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 27 on 15th May 2013, 11:59 am
Top posting users this month

Today’s Show
Powered by The Odyssey Scoop.

Teen VS Young Adult

View previous topic View next topic Go down

20130218

Post 

Teen VS Young Adult




Recently, I decided to stop using my Teen's Study Bible, in favor of my ESV Study Bible. Why? Because the Teen Study Bible really earned that "Teen" label. Sure, the actual biblical text in it is awesome, but the "other" stuff, the sidenotes and study pages, were written for your average american teen. You can't open the book without feeling like the people who put it together think you're an idiot who doesn't know anything more than a ten year old would.

Of course, because my study bible is the book I read the most, I got inundated with negative feelings from what should be a positive book. This got me thinking, though, about the really dumb idea of Adolescence, and the layman's term for it, "Teen".

Pretty much, the idea behind Adolescence is that everyone knows you're an idiot who plays video games all day, so why bother giving you any real responsibility? I really hate this mindset. The majority of 13-19 year olds love it, though, because it's seven more carefree years. But that's not what I want.

This time in my life is the time I need to spend striving towards becoming a man. I wouldn't call myself an adult yet, but I'm working on it.

As many of you know, 13 used to be the age where you were considered an adult. But, we've really pushed that line back quite a lot. While some kids are glad they get a little more carefree living, I'm glad I get more time to train for adulthood. If I was expected to pack my bags next month and buy a house, I know I wouldn't be ready.

If you ask me if I'm a teen, I'd say yes. Technically, I am a teen. I'm between the ages of 13-19, so if you use the most basic definition of teen, I qualify. But, I wouldn't identify with the teen mindset. It just seems like a dumb idea to me.


avatar
Sko
On Vacation
On Vacation

Posts : 1367
Join date : 2012-10-10
Location : About 150 Km from Sol, give or take.

View user profile http://tech.ryanhoots.com/

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Teen VS Young Adult :: Comments

avatar

Post on 19th February 2013, 1:08 am by underseasie

I totally get where you're coming from, the typical "teen" stereotype drives me nuts to...but most of the time, people think I'm ten, anyways.

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on 19th February 2013, 9:17 am by capeng

If you want to talk legally, a child is birth to 13. A teen is 13-18. A young adult is 18-21. An adult is 21 and up.
I don't think that there is such a thing as adolescence. It seems to be too much of an excuse for too many people to sit around wasting their God-given, precious time with things like video games, texting and Facebook. (None of these are inherently bad, but when it is all you are doing, and you are not putting most of your energy towards bettering yourself or your situation, you are still acting like a child.) In our grandparent's day, there was no "adolescence." Once you turned 18, you were expected to act like an adult, cause' you were one. I think that would be much healthier than the system we have now.

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on 19th February 2013, 11:32 am by Maria

I'm 13, almost 14, and i hate going to teen stuff, cuz it's all the same. They treat you like you have no clue about anything and like all girls wanna become famous women and not have a family. Uhh....yo, i wanna get married and have 7 kids! Guess i'm not the "average" teen. And no one likes this if girls wanna have a family! I've never met a girl besides myself who wants to have 7 kids! It's unbelievable! All they wanna do is wait 10 years to get married and get some really great job. And most girls I know hate cleaning, and i'm like, "well, i love cleaning, it's fun" and all girls in the room like at me like i'm nuts. whatever happened to the days when girls were expected to be a house wife? These are the reasons I hate being a teen, lol

Back to top Go down

avatar

Post on 19th February 2013, 12:35 pm by Sko

underseasie wrote:I totally get where you're coming from, the typical "teen" stereotype drives me nuts to...but most of the time, people think I'm ten, anyways.

The "teen" stereotype is bad enough, it's worse when everybody assumes it's normal. WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK IT'S NORMAL? WHY AM I USING CAPS LOCK RIGHT NOW?

capeng wrote:If you want to talk legally, a child is birth to 13. A teen is 13-18. A young adult is 18-21. An adult is 21 and up.

Looks like even our legal system has been affected by the façade of adolescence.

capeng wrote:I don't think that there is such a thing as adolescence. It seems to be too much of an excuse for too many people to sit around wasting their God-given, precious time with things like video games, texting and Facebook. (None of these are inherently bad, but when it is all you are doing, and you are not putting most of your energy towards bettering yourself or your situation, you are still acting like a child.) In our grandparent's day, there was no "adolescence." Once you turned 18, you were expected to act like an adult, cause' you were one. I think that would be much healthier than the system we have now.

That's my thought exactly. Our "modern" way of doing things stinks, and I'm not going to live my "teenage" years passively.

Maria wrote:I'm 13, almost 14, and i hate going to teen stuff, cuz it's all the same. They treat you like you have no clue about anything and like all girls wanna become famous women and not have a family. Uhh....yo, i wanna get married and have 7 kids! Guess i'm not the "average" teen. And no one likes this if girls wanna have a family! I've never met a girl besides myself who wants to have 7 kids! It's unbelievable! All they wanna do is wait 10 years to get married and get some really great job. And most girls I know hate cleaning, and i'm like, "well, i love cleaning, it's fun" and all girls in the room like at me like i'm nuts. whatever happened to the days when girls were expected to be a house wife? These are the reasons I hate being a teen, lol

That's a perfect example of how the "teen" mindset has taken over our culture. In the past, people would think it weird if a girl wanted to do half the things girls are doing now. In fact, if someone from circa 1900 saw your post, Maria, he'd probably think you're the only normal person in it.

Back to top Go down

Post on 19th February 2013, 4:34 pm by Thor's Hammer

I am definitely not a normal teen. I dislike most music, I don't really now anyone famous and I have never watched the Transformers or Star Wars.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum