In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

Most users ever online was 27 on 15th May 2013, 11:59 am
Top posting users this month

Today’s Show
Powered by The Odyssey Scoop.

Happy Hunting Review

Go down

Happy Hunting Review

Today, I will be reviewing Happy Hunting.
The American Constitution originally read… “…that he is endowed with certain inalienable rights… among these are… life, liberty, and property.”
(Emphasis added.)
In the constitution, the word property can be seen crossed out, and replaced “the pursuit of happiness.”
Our Founding Fathers, we can assume, recognized property lacked the grandeur and importance of the other two things on the list, that ownership simply wasn’t one of the greatest things in life. So, they went farther, and showed replaced “property” with that beautiful phrase.
I once read an article in a Christian paper claiming “pursuit of happiness” to be unfitting and untrue, stating one’s life doesn’t center around one’s self and actively seeking one’s own happiness.
Well, what about God? Isn’t God love? Isn’t loving much like happiness?
And can’t our lives be summed up that way, in the end? Aren’t our lives a journey to ultimate happiness in Heaven?
Happy Hunting centers around an important issue. Modern philosophies tell you that all that matters is one’s own person, and that life is one big excursion to cast off all that chains you down, seek what satisfies you, and “find yourself.”
Penny seems understandably preoccupied with this in her episodes. After all, she started out as content believer in all Dr. Trask said, basking in her love of art and the luxury of accepting something as true based on trust.
I couldn’t help smiling at the familiarity of Penny once again turning to “authoritative” sources, in place of Trask, for help, this time a magazine. Of course, if Penny really falls for every piece of this-is-awesome advice with the regularity she seems to (Trask, a book on body language, offhand remarks from friends) one wonders why she isn’t eschewing bananas and drinking coconut milk to be thin, have her and Connie’s room entirely full of beauty products, and
One has to love the chemistry of Penny with Jacques Henri. One can’t help enjoying having Penny’s talent and taste for art being given prominence in a real art store. Or, (oh joy!) her wonderful artistic sense clashing with Jacques Henri’s acceptance of overly modern “art” for the sake of great profit. The clever frankness of Penny’s remarks on artistic modernity and snobbishness are at once ingenious, true, and outrageously funny. (Josh aptly dubbed her “the hilarious.”
When the hunt for happiness begins, the humor keeps strong: “Now I’m depressed, and I haven’t even thought of a punch-line yet.”
As a side-note, when Penny bought the boots, I little wondered they didn’t instantly make Penny happy, but I’m a guy. In any case, Victoria Donahue seems to understand Penny better than I do in some cases: http://aiothoughts.blogspot.com/2012/09/happy-hunting-review.html
The scene with the boots proves to be the first of a number of scenes in which Wooton attempts to help Penny. Romance lovers must smile at these moments. After all this time of Wooton interacting with kids and being a total goofball, it touches the heart to hear his gentle caring and tenderness for a woman.
He worries about her, tries to please her, and just can’t be content unless she is.
He really loves her.
You just have to adore this, don’t you? The sweetness of it could carry a whole movie comedy. The childish awakening of romance in childish fun-loving nut by a childish woman artist. And here, Wooton’s diligence touches you even as it makes you laugh as he unfailingly fails.
Speaking of childishness, Penny is once again acting in ways that can be considered immature. She’s an adult, and she’s only now trying to think deeply about her positive emotions? That would be forgivable if she was ten, maybe…
“I can’t be naïve child all my life.” Penny remarks to Connie in A Penny Earned. She’s doing a pretty good job so far. Indeed, essentially, Penny’s search for happiness is much the same as that of a child. Discontentedly wandering, trying to control her moods by turning to seemingly promising instant-fixes and doing anything to please herself.
That’s not such a bad thing.
Journeying as a child can do more good than harm. Are a child’s eyes truly uncomprehending? Sometimes. Yet, lack of understanding births wonder. In our lives, we search for truth, trying to find what satiates us, what touches us, what makes us feel and what seems credible… and what seems INcredible. What seems so strange that it dares us to believe.
We search so diligently for what lies in the adult world, when we leave childhood, and consider children less knowledgeable consequently. If we could remember what we knew as a child… we would be wise indeed.
And, possibly, happier.
If I may mention Victoria’s remarkable review once more, she objects that, when Whit explains some of the theology of happiness to Penny, that it’s unmentioned that we DON’T deserve happiness because we do so much C*** that, if there were any justice, all of us would be burning in Hell. However, she acknowledges points need not always be made with a sledgehammer. In any case, Whit’s deuse-ex-machina talk to Penny shows once again the complaints about Whit turning into a do-nothing are losing what little foundation they had.
Much as I enjoyed Whit’s talk, the talk, and the whole episode, left me wondering, puzzled, full of partly-formed thoughts and questions. Fine, we’re not supposed to constantly actively search for the emotion of happiness but focus on God’s will. But why does God allow things that prevent happiness? If mere emotions are not fulfillment, then what is Heaven like? We are completely happy there, after all, are we not? So is happiness somehow perfected there? Or will we be in some kind of strange contentment without desire for emotion? What is one to do when one is sad? Yes, God’s will always comes first in your life, but that doesn’t mean one shouldn’t set out to cheer yourself up does it? Course not, so then, what are some chief signs you’ve grown too much in your focus on your own happiness?
Which is good, since that’s what is supposed to happen.
And all because Penny is like a child. Yes, she wants to be grown up. She wants to grow in, err, wisdom. But I love her because of it. And so, this episode leaves me with a thought. A thought that will surprise you.
I want to be more like Penny. I want to search for happiness.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

Penny Wise

Pound Foolish

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: diggdeliciousredditstumbleuponslashdotyahoogooglelive

Happy Hunting Review :: Comments

Post on 23rd September 2012, 11:44 pm by Vic Donahue

Good review, PF. You have an interesting perspective and I enjoy reading it! Penny's innocence and child-like spirit are to be admired and thanks for pointing that out! I look forward to more reviews from you. By the way, thanks for the shout out.

Back to top Go down

Post on 24th September 2012, 7:20 pm by CreativeThinker101

Nice review! Very interesting... I'm not sure if I agree with you, as I don't want to search for happiness. Don't we all have enough happiness with Jesus Christ as our lord? What's the point of spending all our time chasing after earthly things? Oh, never mind. You take a very different style of reviewing than most AIO reviewers, so I really enjoy your reviews!

Back to top Go down

Post on 24th September 2012, 9:16 pm by T.S. (myself)

Great review Pound Foolish! You started with a bang (as you do most of the time) and finished strongly, and with a quote from my favorite author. CreativeThinker is right. You take a very different stance in your articles that I haven't pinpointed yet.

Back to top Go down

Post on 29th September 2012, 10:41 pm by The Old Judge

Sorry I'm late on commenting, Pound Foolish. That was a very good review. Thank you for agreeing with me in the fact that Whit has not turned into a do-nothing and as Ben Warren put it, "an out-of-touch old geezer". Keep up the good work, and I can't wait for your next post.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum